Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A change of heart

As a toddler and through about 2nd grade, my family went to a pretty conservative Church of Christ in Amarillo. I didn't know it then, but I sure do now how conservative the church was. I've had plenty of experiences in my life with "conservative churches," but it hasn't been until just recently here in Tulia that the Lord has placed this thought on my heart. I remember going to church with my friends on Sunday mornings after I would spend the night with them on Saturday. We would walk in to a beautiful Baptist Church, with stain glass windows, a giant auditorium, and the thing that stuck out like a sore thumb to me the most...the instruments! I remember having thoughts in my head like, "I can't believe they have instruments here," or "do they know what they are doing?"

As I grew up, these thoughts left my mind for the most part until my arrival in Tulia. The church here is somewhat like the church I grew up in, but my attitude is much different. I think the church that I grew up in taught me to love the church of christ, to love the tradition, instead of teaching me to love Jesus Christ. As Clint and I start our ministry here, that is one goal I have for us. The Holy Spirit moves in many ways and the love of Jesus Christ is not about tradition and denomination. I pray that Clint and I can show how wonderful and marvelous the love of Christ is beyond what kind of worship we do on Sunday mornings. I love the church here in Tulia and ask God to bless our work here.

No comments: